The Brief: The redevelopment of the old Blackberry Hill Hospital site in Bristol for 346 new homes, including, new houses, new apartments blocks and apartments within the existing Grade II listed buildings, the former psychiatric and mental health facility.
The development also includes business and retail units, a community building and a variety of green spaces all wrapped around the existing listed facility. More than a third of the new homes have been constructed to be ‘affordable’ – either homes for social rented or as part of a shared ownership deal.
The Engineering Difference: ESC were appointed to carry out ACE Schedule of Services Performance Duties.
- All existing listed buildings connected to a district heating system, owned and managed by GT Energy.
- Use of renewables for energy generation
- Combined heating and power (CHP) within the district heating plantroom
- Photovoltaics to apartments and houses
- LED lighting internally and externally
Client: Galliford Try
Value: £220m approx