The Brief: The client’s brief included a high degree of sustainability in all areas of the development of the Trinity Square area of Gateshead town centre (famous for the ‘Get Carter’ car park!). As well a European-style public square, Trinity Square is home to a large supermarket, a nine-screen cinema, health centre, student accommodation for Northumbria University and a mix of other retail, food and leisure establishments. There is also parking for more than 700 cars and a link to the Gateshead Interchange for access to the public transport network.
The Engineering Difference: Delivery of a commercially viable scheme which has low carbon emissions, is flexible and with efficient building services solutions.
- Use of renewables for energy generation
- High levels of daylight to the retail space
- Potential use of TriGeneration with Community Heating
- LED lighting to many public areas
- Energy metering at all distribution points, monitored by the BMS against use trends
Value: £150m approx
Duties: ACE Schedule of Services Performance Duties